We’re Open for Submissions
We are now taking submissions for our Winter Edition which goes live January, 2023. The submission fee is $7.50. Submissions close on December 11th, 2022. The small fee helps to maintain the website, host the podcast, and cover a teensy portion of our time.
We pay $25 for works up to 2500 words (this includes poetry) and $50 for works up to 5000 words.
- All applications must come through our Submittable portal (link below). If you’d like to send us an email to provide kudos for the stories or the podcast, wonderful! However, any surreptitious attempts at submitting stories through email will be fed to our Auctor Dragon.
- Submitted works must be previously unpublished fiction, nonfiction, poetry or flash fiction. We do not require that you put the story’s life on hold while applying to us, therefore simultaneous submissions are fine, but please do let us know immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere and at what publication.
- You are welcome to include a cover letter, though, it is most certainly not required as it gives us more to read. If your submission gains consideration, we will contact you for more information.
- We know waiting for responses can be a nail-biting experience (and may even include some cuticles) so we try to respond to all entries about two weeks out from the magazine publish date.
- We are open to all styles, genres, and types of writing as long as the story is engaging.
- You may submit up to five (5) poems in one document/submission.
- All works must be under 5,000 words.
Manuscript Formatting Requirements:
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced, 12pt Times New Roman with standard one-inch margins.
- Poetry submissions do not require double-spacing or standard one-inch margins if that is important to the consumption of your work.
- Please include a word count in the title area of your work.
- We prefer for all identifying information be removed from the document.
- Please submit .doc or .docx, or .rtf file formats (no PDFs please). All others will be fed to the Auctor Dragon.
Our goal is to get your writing exposed to a broader audience. As such, our ownership of your story is nonexclusive, which means you maintain ownership of your story, period. We do require that you allow our magazine and podcast to be the only place your story is published for four months once it appears in our magazine. We also maintain the right to archive and distribute your work in all formats, including electronic, audio, print, and in all languages.
Why Submit to Onyx?
Magazine & Podcast
All works appear in Etched Onyx on-line Magazine AND on our Story Discovery Podcast. It’s like getting an audio-book of your story or poem. If you wish, you also have the option of recording the narration for your own work.
As aspiring authors, we enjoy working with you to edit and improve your story to prepare it for a broader audience.
We are a nano-publishing house, therefore your story will be vetted by the publishers themselves (us!)
Our first e-book and print anthology is coming out in 2022 and will be available via on-line retailers. We print one edition per year.